Welcome to our family guide to Scottsdale, Arizona! With so many activities and attractions to choose from, planning a family vacation can be overwhelming. That's why we've put together a list of 15 fun activities that the whole family can enjoy. From exploring the desert landscapes to splashing around in the pool at one of our Turquoise House Scottsdale vacation rentals, there's something for everyone in Scottsdale. Read on to discover our list of 15 of the best family-friendly activities in Scottsdale!
- Hiking in Camelback Mountain - Enjoy a scenic hike through the iconic Camelback Mountain, known for its stunning views of the Phoenix metropolitan area. With several trails to choose from, there's an option for hikers of all skill levels.
- Visit the Musical Instrument Museum - The world's only global musical instrument museum, featuring over 15,000 instruments from around the world. You can take a self-guided tour and even play some of the instruments in the Experience Gallery.
- Swimming in the Turquoise House Scottsdale pools - Enjoy a refreshing swim in one of the pools at the Turquoise House Scottsdale. Relax poolside with a good book or take a dip to cool off from the desert heat.
- Scottsdale ArtWalk - Explore the vibrant arts scene in downtown Scottsdale on Thursday evenings. Art galleries and museums stay open late, offering free admission and a chance to see the latest exhibitions.
- Butterfly Wonderland - A unique indoor rainforest environment where you can walk among thousands of butterflies from all over the world. You can also see other rainforest creatures such as chameleons, macaws, and more.
- Old Town Scottsdale - Explore the charming historic district of Scottsdale, filled with art galleries, boutiques, and restaurants. Take a stroll down Main Street and soak in the Old West atmosphere.
- McCormick-Stillman Railroad Park - A family-friendly park featuring a miniature train ride, carousel, playground, and picnic areas. There's also a museum showcasing the history of railroading in Arizona.
- OdySea Aquarium - One of the largest aquariums in the Southwest, featuring over 30,000 animals and 50 exhibits. Highlights include a giant ocean exhibit with sharks, sea turtles, and rays, as well as a penguin exhibit.
- Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West - Explore the former winter home and studio of renowned architect Frank Lloyd Wright. Take a guided tour of the property and learn about his design philosophy and life.
- Desert Botanical Garden - A 140-acre botanical garden featuring over 50,000 plants from around the world. There are several themed gardens, including a desert wildflower garden and a cactus garden.
- Horseback Riding in the McDowell Sonoran Preserve - Experience the beauty of the Sonoran Desert on horseback. Several guided tours are available, ranging from easy rides for beginners to more challenging rides for experienced riders.
- Scottsdale Fashion Square - Shop at one of the largest malls in the Southwest, featuring over 200 stores, including high-end designer brands. Enjoy a meal at one of the mall's many restaurants or catch a movie at the Harkins Theatre.
- Arizona Food Tours - Sample some of the best food and drinks that Scottsdale has to offer on a guided food tour. Learn about the city's culinary history and discover hidden gems you may have missed on your own.
- McDowell Sonoran Preserve - A sprawling nature preserve featuring over 225 miles of trails for hiking, biking, and horseback riding. There are several trailheads to choose from, each offering different scenic vistas and wildlife viewing opportunities.
- Phoenix Zoo - Located just a few miles from Scottsdale, the Phoenix Zoo is home to over 1,400 animals from around the world. Highlights include the African savanna exhibit, the tropical rainforest exhibit, and the Arizona Trail exhibit showcasing local wildlife.
Visit Our Scottsdale Restaurant Guide with our local favorites here!